Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Posting Flickr Images on Blogspot

I had been having a heck of a time trying to upload my photographs or images into my Flickr account and using the URL to insert them into my blogspot blog posts. I had been trying and trying to find a way around this problem that started occurring a few weeks or so ago. Finally, I broke down and asked the nice people at Flickr for some help.

Here's what they sent me back in response.

Hello Jessica,
Thank you for contacting Flickr Customer Care.

We are sorry to hear about this problem you are experiencing...

Though you can no longer right click on an image to get the URL, there are
still a few ways to get the URL.

Go to the photo page, and click the "All Sizes" button above the photo.
Then choose the size you want and scroll down to see the html.

Alternatively, you can click on "Share this" and then click on the "Grab the
HTML" link on the upper right side of your photo pages to readily access the
medium size code for your images. You can even do this on other people's photos,
depending on their settings.

Keep in mind that Flickr's rules require you to link back to the photo page
if you post the photo to another site.

Hope this information helps you :).

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply to this
email.

Thank you again for contacting us.

Regards,


Lucy

Flickr Customer Care


Isn't that a nice response? After all the pain and suffering (okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration) I've been going through to get my photos on both Flickr and blogspot, all I had to do was ask for help. Why they don't let me just use the URL like I had been doing I don't know.

I thought I'd share this with you for a few reasons:
  1. Using Flickr to store your photos cuts down tremendously on the amount of space you use on your blog. Flickr is a pretty cheap route if you upload a lot of photos.
  2. Somebody else has to be having the same problems.
  3. I think it's a good reminder for everyone to make sure you link back to the Flickr photo page when you use an image that you store there on another site. It gives a little bit of credit back to Flickr for giving us such a nice and easy program to use.

Hope you found this useful. I know it's been a problem for me for a while now.

No comments: