Monday, January 18, 2010

Christmas Bookends

I made these bookends for my dad for Christmas. How did I do it?
  1. I took a Ziploc sandwich bag and cut two rectangles of fabric 1/2" bigger on each side.
  2. I stitch them with right sides together, on three sides using a 1/4" seam allowance.
  3. I turned them the right side out and pressed.
  4. I folded the fabric in about 1/2" on the side that was left un-stitched and pressed it.
  5. I filled the Ziploc bag with rice. Zipped it closed. Put the Ziploc bag into the bag I've created for the bookend.
  6. I folded the extra part from the zipper down so it wouldn't get in my way.
  7. I pinned across the folded edge.
  8. I've got this really awesome foot on my sewing machine that's supposed to be used for the overlocking stitches. I like to use it when I edge-stitch things because it has this nice little built in guide thingie that just makes my life easier. So using my awesome overlocking stitch foot, I edge-stitched around all four sides.
  9. Ta-da! You've got yourself a nice little rice-filled bookend. Now make another for the other side and you are ready to roll.
Easy, eh?

Also, a side note.... happy birthday to my now 3 year old neice, Ella.

No comments: