Friday, April 2, 2010

I'm in love.

With Google Reader. How did I not find this sooner? It's fabulous. I am subscribed to around 200 different blogs, so it takes a while to look at all of them. Prior to my Google Reader discovery, I just used the blog roll on the side of my blog to look at all the blogs I was interested in. Now, I open up Google Reader and can scroll through them all at once. That eliminates excess clicking to open each blog. They're all rolled into one!

So, when I read all the blogs I follow now, I'm seeing something like this:
Google Reader copy copy

I've only come across two downsides to reading blogs this way:
1. I don't get to see the format of each blog. Google Reader is in a format that it just takes the text and image from each post and puts it on a plain white background. No big deal, just not as fun.

2. Some blogs (such as my own) don't show the images that are within the post. I'm not sure why this is and how to fix it. I just know that if there's not any images in the post and I think there probably are, click on the title and I'll be taken to the real website where I can see anything and everything it includes.
Some really awesome things about reading in Google Reader:
1. I can email an article to anybody I want by clicking the Email button at the bottom of any post. Bingo! That's about 400 emails to Jason last week. (Sorry honey... there was a lot of cool stuff to share with you!)

2. I can share things that I like with others. I can write what I liked about a certain post and share it and anybody can look at what I've shared and see what I've written. So cool!
3. I can star and smiley face things I like.

4. I can make my own tags for other people's articles. I've been using things like: Christmas Projects, Clothes, and Quilt to be able to create lists of things I'd like to be able to find again later. How cool is that?!
Google Reader is part of iGoogle which offers all sorts of other features I'm just discovering. I'm love, love, LOVING Google Reader. If you don't use it (or something similar) you should definitely check it out. It's wicked awesome. :D

Want to join? I think you can by going to google.com. Starting in the top left, there's a list of things like videos, images, etc. Click on the one that says more. On the bottom of the drop down menu, click on even more. Scroll down until you find the iGoogle. Click on that and it should get you started.

P.S. Happy 1/2 birthday to my sister, Katie.

3 comments:

Trish said...

I know, isn't it awesome. I'm addicted to it. It makes reading blogs so great. I even track the Summary Quilter blogs site and see all the new postings there. Have you used the "next" button for google reader too. It allows you to read the full blog pages and then skip to the next unread page. Email me and I'll send you the link.

Roseanne said...

Yes google reader is very good My SIL showed me how to use it. It is just great.

Anonymous said...

Google has a tool that you can add to your toolbar that will allow you to click through the blogs you've subscribed to - AT the blog, rather than in the reader. The only negative is that you don't get to choose which blog you see next. To get it, open your Google Reader, then click Settings at the top right and click Reader Settings. Click Goodies and scroll down a bit to where it says "Put Reader in a bookmark." Follow the instructions (you just drag the Next button to your toolbar). Now when you click on Next in your toolbar, it will take you to the next blog in your Google Reader subscriptions.