Sunday, April 11, 2010

Favorite Things - April 11, 2010

sewbot's favorites

My new favorite thing is a remote for my camera. I'm not sure I've mentioned it before, but I shoot most of my pictures on a Canon Rebel XSi. I also have a small (purse sized!) Canon Powershot, but that's only really for my out and about and I don't really want to have that touristy look kicking.

Last fall I took a fabulous class at the Photographx Unlimited store not far from me. In this class I learned about how to set aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and other basic things to get my camera out of the "mom zone". (Mom zone = the green auto square that anybody could hand the camera to their mom and tell her to click the button.) It was a great class. I really got to learn how to use my camera and how to analyze what I can do better in my photos. Well, the last day, our instructor brought in a sheet for us on how to photograph fireworks. It's such a cool thing to be able to do and I saw all sorts of possibilities with the method used. It requires a remote and a tripod.

It was pretty stormy here the other night, so Jason and I took Ansel (we've decided to name our camera that) out the other night and try to play with the lights. I picked up the Wireless Remote Controller RC-1 earlier in the week and thought it would be fun to learn how to use our new toy before we headed to Chicago. Here's a few of the shots we took the other night:

Sirens
This is of an ambulance driving down the highway behind our apartment.

Lights
This one is of a car driving through the parking lot.

Back it up
This is a car backing out of a parking stall.

So, my favorite thing this week is my new camera remote control.

No comments: