Saturday, July 3, 2010

The right way to thread a needle?

Did you know there is a right way to thread a needle?  I didn't either.  I learned this trick at a recent guild meeting.  Want to learn it, too?  Read on....

Pull the thread from the spool.  Cut the thread to the length you want it to be.  Thread the FRESHLY CUT END through the eye of the needle.  Fantastic isn't it?  No more annoying fraying. 

So, why does it work?  It has to do with the way the thread is made.  There is one strand that acts as a core for the thread.  The other strand(s) coil around the core strand.  When you thread a needle using the old cut, it is separating the strands.  When you use the fresh cut end, it slides right on like magic. 

Cool trick, eh?  I also learned that there is a right and wrong way for pulling the thread off the spool so it doesn't twist up on itself.  I haven't quite figured that out yet.  When I do, I'll be sure to share it.

No comments: