Saturday, November 1, 2008

And we're back!

So, sorry it’s been a while since I’ve posted anything. We got our camera back from the Geek Squad last week, but it’s been kind of hectic for Jason and I. He had surgery on the 22nd of October to correct his sleep apnea. He’s been hanging around the apartment taking it easy the last week and a half and I’ve been playing “Nurse Jessie” when I’m not at the office.

I did finish the last quilt recently. I’m pretty happy with it and I think our friend will like it. These photos were taken before I finished it.
I just entered two of my quilts in an online quilt contest. I’m excited to see what people say about them. They aren’t up on the website there yet because they have to be approved or something first, so I can’t post a link to my entries. These are the two images I entered:
I went to a quilt show in Excelsior Springs last weekend with my parents. I discovered this really cute little quilt shop called The Wooden Spool in downtown Excelsior Spring and have signed up for a class there next weekend. I’m excited. The shop doesn’t have a website or I’d post a link for you. I’ll be shopping for the fabric for that class probably tomorrow.

While Jason has been home sick the last week and a half, I’ve started working on my sewing table. I’ve been pulling it out onto the balcony to strip the wood. I’ve had this table for probably close to a decade. It’s been under the stairs in my parents’ basement for ages and I finally decided I needed it to come home with me. My dad helped me modify it so Lucille fits inside of it. I wanted a table to sew at that was more functional than my drafting table. My drafting table and chair are really tall, so currently I sew using a small step stool to hold my machine pedal where I can reach it. I love all the wood grains that have shown up after I pulled off a lot of the dark finish. I ran out of the stripper I was using, so I got another bottle of more intense wood stripper I’m going to try. It’s been a really fun project. I’ve never tried to refinish anything before, so I’ve been learning a lot. My dad showed me the basics and then I got a few books from the library (I’m a huge library proponent.) to show me in more detailed steps how to do this. I’ve got some oak veneer I’m going to use to replace the top that was cracking pretty badly. I’m psyched to see how it will turn out in the end.

I’ve got some other photos of things I’ve made that I have yet to post. Some are old, some are new.

I whipped these coasters up right after I got Lucille out of some fabric I had laying around. I love how fun they are.
These are what we made in the screen-printing class Jason and I took a while ago. When we didn’t have the camera (so we have no photos) I took some fabric markers and colored one of the little monster onesies for my cousin’s 3 month old daughter. For her three-year old daughter I got a white long sleeve tee and we printed one of the dragonflies on near the hip. I also colored that one on. It turned out pretty cute. I wish I could post pictures of them, but sadly, they live in Phoenix so I won’t get to.
The tote bag with the phone was one of my designs. I also did the crows on the line shown in one of the onesie photos. The dragonfly and monster were Jason’s two screens. I think I might give the tote bag to my grandma (who worked at the phone company for many, many years) for Christmas. My grandparents have a lot of telephone stuff, so it would be appropriate. They have one of the old wooden phones that you have to wind the thing on the side to use. It’s pretty cool.
I got a few free classes with my new machine. This was what we made at the second class. It’s a small pillow case. I learned how to use the zipper foot and put on piping. I had never done either!
The bag was my second project (after the curtains) on Lucille. I needed a bag I could fit all of my sewing stuff in to take to class. Jason thinks I used old lady fabric, but I disagree. And besides… I like it, so what if it is.
This I did last year. It was my first needle punching project. I thought it was kind of fun. It’s something I’d like to do again sometime.
These were a project that Jason and I started a while ago. They are hanging in our dining room. Jason is great about coming up with ideas like this, but he didn’t actually physically make any of these. They’re envelopes we have strung on a line and pinned to the wall. My favorite is the map. The beads symbolize the places we’ve lived together: Lincoln, Nebraska; Alameda, California; and Kansas City, Missouri.
Well, I apologize for this turning into such a long blog. I felt like I needed to post all the things I had been working on while our camera was gone. I hope you enjoy it and come back soon!

No comments: