Monday, September 8, 2008

Thoughts from the girl who should be in bed...

Jason and I have signed up for a screen printing class at our local craft shop, Urban Arts and Crafts. If you live in the area you should check this place out. It’s awesome. They are always having classes. Sadly, this is the first time we’ve signed up. They do artist trading cards, but I’m not sure exactly how that works. Maybe someday I’ll figure it out and join in the fun. They’ve also got a cat who lives in the store (or at least is there everytime I’ve been in). I love when stores have cats. It makes me happy.

So, for this class we’re supposed to come up with images to use for our prints. I’m totally stumped. I keep coming up with ideas, but as soon as I sketch them out, they become a bit of a disaster.

I suppose the only thing to do is keep surfing on the web for ideas from other people and translating them into my own design. I’m definitely not trying to steal any art, but I’m looking for some inspiration. I hate when I get stuck in a rut.

This hasn’t happened since I was in school. I suppose that’s because I haven’t been making a lot of things for myself. I've been making a lot of requests lately. That brings me to another topic…

I’ve decided that since I’ve been sewing so much more since we’ve moved to Kansas City, I’ve been making things for other people. I made myself a bag yesterday and was so thrilled. I’m getting tired of making quilts and other things that I don’t get to fully enjoy. Maybe I need to establish a new rule for myself.

Rule: Make at least one project for one’s self at any time the need arises.

I like it!

Selfish? Maybe a little, but if I enjoy what I do even more... everyone will benefit.

Anyway, I find myself starting to ramble, so I think that’s a good spot to stop tonight. This little lady is headed off to sleepy land.

P.S. I do have my Naughty or Nice Christmas jammies on currently. They do have a jingle bell, so I’m feeling Christmassy. I’ll have to write more about my Christmas spirit in a future post. It will give you something to look forward to.

No comments: