Friday, September 12, 2008

It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring.


It’s pouring outside. Whenever it rains, I get the crafty itch. Today, I’m getting it, but sadly, I’m at work and the day is only half over.

Jason is going to the Nebraska football game tomorrow with his dad, so I might be able to work in the laboratory all day. I’m still working on the string baby quilt for our friend Meghan, so maybe I can finish piecing that either tonight or tomorrow. I haven’t completely decided whether or not I will tie it or try to machine quilt it on Lucille.

On Wednesday, Lucille and I went to our owner’s class. (Just a reminder that Lucille is my new sewing machine.) I learned how to sew a button on using the machine! How fun is that? I was introduced to a really cool tool: The Hump Jumper. It’s this little plastic thing that is shaped kind of like a “V” from the side. If you look at it from the top, there are two openings, one on each leg. This thing is used to make that gap between a button and fabric so it lays nicely. It can also be used for when you are sewing something thick and have to go over a seam (on a quilt where several blocks meet or when hemming jeans and you come to the side seam) you can slide this between the foot and the fabric, so the machine doesn’t skip any stitches. It’s wonderful! I bought one for myself because I thought it was so awesome. I wish I could post photos of it to really explain it, but our camera is still in the shop. Sorry. I found this drawing of one on the internet.

I’ve got another class next week where I’ll make a small pillow case. I picked out some pirate fabric. I’ll get to learn how to sew on piping, so I’m kind of excited. I’ve never had a zipper foot before, so this will be new for me. I picked out the pirate stuff, because I couldn’t find anything I love and I really don’t need another pillowcase. Since we don’t need anymore small pillow cases, I’m going to try to sell it on etsy.

Speaking of etsy. I set myself up a store. There’s nothing in it yet, but it’s ready to go! I’m thinking maybe my goal should be to make 10 items to sell before I add anything to the shop. All of the shops I’ve looked through have a lot of items, not just one or two.

There’s a quilt show in Blue Springs this weekend I was considering going to. I’m not sure if I’ll make it here or not. We’ll see.

I’ve also been considering doing some scrapbooking. Jason and I got married in May of 2007 and I still have all of our photos to do something with. Right after we got married, I got a free 20 page picture book from shutterfly. I did a nice bound book of our wedding and it only cost $8 or something like that to ship it. Other than those pictures, we have one photo of us in our signature frame (instead of a guest book, everybody at our wedding signed our picture mat) and there’s a picture of me playing croquet in the woods in my dress in an arrangement. So, I think it’s probably time to get around to it. I also want to do another book of our honeymoon. We did a 3 week road trip for our honeymoon, so we’ve got a ton of pictures. It was such a blast! Sadly, I’m afraid if I don’t get around to doing a book soon, I’ll forget a lot of the stories behind the photos, and it will be lost forever. Jason has no interest in doing a scrapbook, so I’m on my own. Maybe I’ll go shopping for supplies this weekend.
I've been listening to this awesome crafty podcast lately. I listen to it while I draft at work and it makes me want to go home and make stuff. It's one of the better podcasts I've found yet.

No comments: