Monday, May 24, 2010

Blogger Quilt Festival

Amy at Amy's Creative Side is once again hosting the Blogger's Quilt Festival.  The quilt I'm going to share for the Spring 2010 festival is the Bastille Baby Quilt.

This quilt was made a few months ago for my sister-in-law's baby-boy-to-be (phew!  That's a lot of hyphens!).  Baby Bastille got his name because of his due date.  He's due on July 14th, Bastille Day.  Don't worry, the baby won't actually be named Bastille.  We just refer to him as that because his name hasn't been decided just yet.  The last baby to be born in the family we called Giblet, but he turned out to be a Lucas, so things will work out I'm sure.  :)

So, the Baby Bastille Quilt is one of my own designs.  I was inspired by Oh, Fransson's Canasta Quilts.  I wanted my blocks smaller, so I came up with 4 different block designs.  I did 3 of each block, giving me a total of twelve 10" (finished) blocks.  I added sashing in my design.  I also used the same fabric in each of the center blocks.

The final result:

Front - Full
Back - Full

I think the photograph below does a pretty good job of showing how much the quilting wrinkled when I washed it.  It was the most that has ever happened on one of my quilts.  I love it! 
Quilting Shadows

I think the back looks like an elephant's skin.
Back - Quilting

For the quilting on this one, I did a custom pattern.  Jason and I scanned in the fabric I used for the sashing.  We traced a few of the leaves and made templates for me to trace on the quilt. 
Leaf template

Here's a detail shot of one of the blocks on the front.  I did a 10" block with 4 rings around the focus fabric. 
Front - Detail

Here's a detail shot of the little guys I put on the back.  I did 5" blocks with only two rings around the center focus fabric. 
Back - Detail

It was a fun quilt to make.  I'm working on my first quilt-along using this pattern.  Look for it sometime in July (I hope). 

Thanks, Amy for putting together another festival.  It's fun to see what others are working on & your festival is a great place to see a lot at once.  :)

24 comments:

Karen S said...

Very nice quilt -- I love the texture that happened when you washed it!

BJ said...

Lovely. It reminds me of the beach for some strange reason. Love the colors and the pattern. Good job!

Allie said...

Absolutely Beautiful!

janet said...

Ooh, I just adore the crinklyness, it is wonderful!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

What a fun quilt! really charming

Unknown said...

I'm pretty fond of the colors you chose... :) Great job! Lucky baby!

Angie Padilla said...

I agree that your choice of fabrics is really nice - different than what I'm used to seeing. And the shrinkage gives it that antique feeling. Looks like a nice, cuddly quilt.

A Garden of Threads said...

What a wonderful present, I too love the heirloom look washing can give a quilt. Take care.

Dolly said...

Wonderful quilt and story.

A couple of questions.......
1...was Giblet a Thanksgiving baby?

2...what kind of batting did you use to get such wonderful elephant skin?

QuiltSue said...

Baby Bastille will love it I'm sure, and I'll bet his parents did too.

Jennifer said...

Wonderful! I love the texture of the quilt!

Jennifer :)

Unknown said...

No, giblet was not a Thanksgiving baby. Although, that might have been a more appropriate nickname if he had been. I'm not sure how we came up with Giblet. :)

The batting I used was the 80/20 stuff from JoAnn's. I think it's 80% cotton, 20% poly. I like the really thin thickness of it and it gives a nice weight and drape to it. It's also small enough that I can manuever it through my machine to quilt it myself.

Little Island Quilting said...

Great quilt - especially like the back

Unknown said...

Oooh! I like it! Did you dream this one up too? :) I kind of like the name Bastille... maybe you need another cat to bestow that name on! :)

Leslie said...

i love this

Susan Michele said...

It does look like elephant skin! This is an awesomely great quilt, thank you for sharing this with us!

Anne at Film and Thread said...

Beautiful quilt and great description of how you did it! I love the gray pieced back.

I am also loving your Oregon coast photos. Really beautiful!

SewCalGal said...

Lovely quilt. Great quilting!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Eileen said...

love the quilt. like the layout and the colors. they're not ones i'd ordinarily choose. love the baby flamingos!! can you tell me who's fabric that is--hubby and i have a little contest about flamingos, so would love to get some

Unknown said...

You know, I have no idea what that fabric is. I just checked to see if I had any of it left that has the details. It's some Noah's ark fabric I picked up at Walmart. Sorry I couldn't be more informative than that. :)

Catherine said...

Love the soft colours you've used for this baby boys quilt and the quilting gives it lovely texture.

Michelle said...

Lovely! Fantastic job.

Laurel H. said...

Wow, what a lovely quilt, before AND after washing!

Amy said...

very nice.I am sure he will treasure forever.Thanks for sharing,Amy