Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Spring is here.

Spring is Here

The second daffodil  in my yard bloomed sometime overnight.  Isn't it pretty?  Daffodils just kind of make me smile.

Spring is Here, I must need a new purse

Because it's springtime, I obviously needed a new purse.  I took Jaime's Amy Butler bag making workshop at Bernina a few weekends ago and started this bag there.

I chose the Sweet Harmony Handbag pattern and some fun springtime fabric from JoAnn.  This was my first Amy Butler pattern and I wasn't completely impressed.  I love the Amy Butler style, but thought the pattern was lacking in a few ways.  First, I'm pretty sure the dimension for installing a zippered pocket was wrong.  It could have been my mistake somewhere along the line, but I tried it several times and the dimensions given were not the same as the dimensions I ended up with when I lined it up myself.  Second, where are the diagrams?  Maybe trade in some of the words for some pictures? 

Those are my thoughts from the pattern.  I really like the bag and am happy to carry it and am really happy spring is here.  I totally have spring fever and want to get out and play every chance I get.

3 comments:

Angela said...

the bag is super cute...but thanks for the honest opinion about her pattern. I haven't tackled a bag pattern of hers yet and I'm a little reluctant to do so. I've heard mixed reviews. I think that everyone likes the outcome, but struggles A LOT along the way!

Melissa said...

I love the fabrics you chose, Jessica. It looks like a great bag and the big pocket on the outside is wonderful!

Patchwork Architect said...

amy butler can be wordy and lack diagrams...agreed. You did a great job tackling a more complex bag pattern, all things considered. I have this one on my list for someday in the future...sorta ODed on AB for now.