Friday, June 5, 2009

It all started with a dream...

and now it's completed!

This is the quilt I made for my friend's baby shower. The shower is tomorrow morning, so I finished this up just in time. I'm really happy with it for it being my first attempt at an applique like technique. There's definitely things I'll do differently next time, but I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

This is a photo of the full top. The finished size is about 3'-0"x4'-6".

The picture below is shot from right above the quilt looking up the tree trunk.

This next two are from right above the binding, looking up at the daffodils.


This is of the bird at the top of the quilt. The three birds in the quilt symbolize their family; mommy, daddy, and baby.

The flower shown here, a clementis, is probably my favorite part of the quilt. I love the amount of texture and delicacy that shows up in these.



The next two are of the leaves. Aren't the vein sort of things pretty neat?


This is the bird in the middle of the quilt.

I love how the tree bark wrinkled up when I washed it. I think it enhances the texture I implemented by quilting.


Don't you think the grass turned out nicely?

This is the baby bird at the bottom of the quilt. She's being watched over by mom and dad who are above. She's slightly smaller than the other two birds.

Here's a few photos of the back. I wanted all the thread on the back to be purple, so it would just look like a line drawing mirroring the front. Unfortunately, the stitches I used didn't necessarily follow my plan. I don't think it was a tension problem, but more of a stitch choice issue. This is one thing I'd definitely do differently next time around.




All in all I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. This is only the third time I've machine quilted anything and the first time I used my new machine to do it. It's the first time I've tried anything resembling applique. I think for being pretty new at these techniques, this is a pretty good accomplishment. I'm pretty happy with it and will definitely try something similar again. And just think... it all started with a dream I had.

1 comment:

Harley Dee said...

Oh my gosh, it's gorgeous!! I think that's so cool that you dreamed it, then made it. You did a fantastic job!